Thursday 21 January 2016

Survival Of The Fittest Has Never Been More True

The Revenant - Film - 2015 

I went to an early screening of The Revenant and I was expecting a very gruesome, tough and hard hitting film. All about the survival of a man who is fighting not only for his life but for revenge. 

What I got? Well, it was a very long film, about half way through my attention did wain a little bit. It kind of got to the point of 'Just hurry up'. Now the person I went to see it with (a guy) did not flinch at the time, so maybe this was just me. 


Second, brutal? I think not. Not for someone my age who has had gone through brutal animes, video games and Quentin Tarantino films. Yes, there is a bear attack which is quite graphic, there are a few eating raw meat situations which did make my tummy turn a little bit, but I wouldn't use the word brutal to describe this film. Now, I am aware that people of the younger generation may be more desensitized to the blood and gore, but, I feel that even my dad would not find it that bad. 

I would say the story itself was good, it was very minimalistic in the sense that it surrounded two major story lines, revenge and survival. Simple, yet dramatic. 

I hope Leo finally wins his Oscar for this, although if he does he would be winning an Oscar for saying very few words. Although, I have heard the fish and liver he eats, are real which is just gross, but impressive for an actor to be that into his work. 

Anyway, it was a good film. It would be one I would watch again with people who haven't seen it for instance but it would not be one that I make my mission to watch again. 

8/10 

I thought it was a very good survival film, it showed the sheer will needed to survive, it felt real and there were moments when using the camera, it made you feel as though you right there with them. And this is what I enjoyed most about the film, the realism. There was no outrageous Hollywood effects. The scenery was beautiful, some may say distracting but I felt it just added to the realism of the film. 

This is a 'marmite' film, you either love it or you hate it. If you don't mind a little bit of blood and gore, and enjoy the survival aspect of a film then this is definitely for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment