Monday 23 November 2015

May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favour

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 - Film - 2015

When I was in England I felt it important to watch the final instalment of The Hunger Games. To see the first one I skipped college and went to the local cinema making it back in time for my history lesson. So the trilogy (books) and quadrilogy (films) hold fond memories for me. I loved the books and the films have not disappointed. 

Francis Lawrence bought us three out of the four films of The Hunger Games. The last book was split into two films to allow them to include more details. This is something that normally puts directors on my blacklist but, in this case I was happy they took this approach. The reason being there is a lot of development in the third book. A lot of twist and turns for the story and after seeing it split over two films, it is clear that if they had tried to fit it into one film - well it just wouldn't have worked. 

There is very little negative to say regarding this franchise and it's actors. Each one: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Elizabeth Banks and Woody Harrelson give some of their very best performances in these films. 

One thing I would say for this film is that it was a little, for lack of a better word, dull. Because it was wrapping up the story there was some action, but very little in terms of theatrics. Elizabeth Banks and Woody Harrelson got very little screen time in this film as they needed to make sure certain criteria were met for the story. I felt this was a shame. Both characters, Effie and Haymitch, bring a lot of life into the film. They balance out the seriousness of Katniss and Peeta's situation. 

The ending was also a little disappointing, it was a little bit like they they ran out of time and had to rush it a bit. They did manage to wrap up everything in quite a clever way in terms of all the other characters. 

There is some happiness and sadness in this film. There were times that I felt like crying but others when I thought 'that is just amazing' 

The action was good, the effects were what you would you would expect from a Hollywood blockbuster. 

These films became a phenomenon and they are some of the best book to film adaptations I have ever seen. But, this film fell under the 'it happens in the book so we have to find a way for it to happen in the film' curse. Some situations are forced, or of their making but too obvious for it have any effect. Unfortunately, this is not something that is easy to get away from. 

8/10

I think they should have utilised their characters more. It was not the best of the franchise and I think that the earlier films especially Catching Fire were more interesting to watch. It is definitely still worth the watch for all ages. 

No comments:

Post a Comment