Sunday 1 November 2015

What Happens If You Have Nothing To Inspire You?

Some of the greatest musical hits, plays and poems have been written out of heartbreak. Take Adele for example, she broke up with her boyfriend, wrote an album and became a MASSIVE hit all over the world.

Great poets/play writes such as Edgar Allan Poe, Shakespeare and Robert Browning all had the inspiration from love.

Modern day you have singers like Taylor Swift who is criticised for her track record of boyfriends and her songs that she has written about her relationship.

But the way I see it is why should you be criticised for this. All these people are doing is taking a life-event that was significant to them and finding their way of expressing themselves.

BUT what happens when you don't have that inspiration?

I'm not saying the only inspiration is from love because it's not, you have songs/poems about life, death, musing on the world. I think the reason why love is such an inspiration is because you have the good side of love, when you find the right person you life can be full of happiness and passion. You find yourself always smiling. You think about that person on a minutely basis. They are in your every thought about your future, even little things like what to have for dinner. But on the other side of it, you also have tragedy. Losing a person you love can feel like the light has left your life. You feel as though even when you wake up, you are still asleep. You can go through life alone and hurt because that person is no longer at your side.

So, we all know why love is a big inspiration whether happy or sad so what do you do when you feel as though you don't have this inspiration?

Take my life for example, as previously noted I wasn't exactly sociable until about a year or so ago so I don't have many stories to tell in that side of my life. I have been with the same person for 6 years now, in these years there has never been a time of heartbreak. Before him, I did not suffer going through a break-up that I didn't instigate. At the moment, I am working so much that I don't have a chance to think about sadness. The only thing that causes me sadness in my life now is an event that happened 5 years ago. This event triggered a lot of motivation for me. This person is the reason why I write. Why I edit. Why I do... well everything. I have happiness in my life, that is always tinged by sadness. So, this is my motivation but is it my inspiration?

My life is consumed by one person, which makes me lucky for what I have (I know many would call me ungrateful) but having someone from a young age (15) takes a lot of commitment. It takes a lot from you. We have never been through anything dramatic or anything that is worth writing about.

Art is an outlet for people. Sometimes you have emotions just waiting to get out.

So, where can you get if you don't have it?

What if you've never gone through heartbreak?

What if you've never been in love?

Well, my suggestion is to use things that you do have in your life that you love or have a passion for. For example, the novel that I am writing is a crime novel. I chose this because I love reading thrillers. I love watching all those detective shows that seem the same to everybody else. I have to do a lot of research because where I don't work in this profession it isn't I know inside and out. But I stick with it anyway because it's a topic/genre that I love and feel that I can write about.

My advice to you is to write what you know. If you don't know heart-break don't write about it.

Your writing is stronger when you know what you are talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment