Saturday 28 March 2015

A fairy tale like...Well the same as others

Cinderella was without a doubt a fairy tale...  Now I know that seems like a stupid statement but it was nothing more than that. Lily James and Richard Madden work extremely well together they make you believe in a happy ever after. However that is all there was. Nothing more or new it was just...  Fine. The cinematography was something to behold the house and the castle was...  Well something out of a fairy tale it was exquisite and dreamlike. The costumes...  Well what to say about them they were magical, fitting and like nothing you have ever seen before. Probably not the most comfy but to look at they were every girls (even mine!) dream. The real highlight for me was Cate Blanchetts portrayal of the Evil Stepmother. She was menacing and yet you could see a softer side to her one that actually made you feel a little bad for her (a little). In the beginning when the trailer was released I wasn't so sure on Lily James but she suits the role perfectly. She holds her own in some places and both her and Richard Madden may not be everyone's cup of tea in the conventional sense...  but we're all about the unconventional! There were no songs in this film and that actually made it better I like musicals don't get me wrong but this film didn't need it, you could tell when they wanted to break out in song but I'm glad they didn't to me that would have made the film seem cheap. Helen boham Carter makes a beautiful Godmother she really suits blonde! She is a long way from Bella Trix I can tell you that! I can genuinely say that there were parts of this film that made me laugh out loud my favourite quote being "I cannot drive I am a goose" this added some lightheartedness to the film when everything was down for Cinderella.

The ending was something I feel I should mention once the prince finds her she gives her name as Cinderella (the nickname given to her by her step sisters) and this made me proud. She has accepted her identity and she is not ashamed she got there because she followed her mother's words"have courage and be kind" and to her that was enough. This made me happy to see a good role model for little girls out there.

All in all the cast was strong and the costume design and cinematography were something to behold but at the end of the day it is just a fairy tale one that has been told several times.

I would recommend this film for a rainy day when you want to watch something that you don't have to think about. It is sweet, naive and innocent all that you can expect from a real-life fairy tale. I enjoyed the film and I think if you like the fairy tale idea you would enjoy it to.

7/10 - this score is mostly put up for the costume designs and acting. There are not necessarily bad sides but really all I can say about it is that it is fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment