Monday 26 October 2015

Make Like A Train And Chew, Chew, Chew

Broken Age - PlayStation 4 - 2014 

Broken Age is a point and click game that became free on PlayStation Plus. The game follows two parallel stories of Shay (voiced by Elijah Wood) and Vella (voiced by Masasa Moyo). You play through both stories each have clues in them to help the other story. There are certain points that you get too but can't progress until you play the other story. 

Broken Age has some of the best visuals I have seen, the art style is unique looking more like drawings than a game. The movement of the characters is fantastic. Speaking of characters, Double Fine (the game develop) have managed to even make characters out of cutlery! No spoilers but there is a super cute picture you should wait and see at the end of the game! 

You can choose which one you want to play as first (I began Vella first) as you can only get to certain points before switching anyway it doesn't affect your game. I tried to speak to every character two or three times to ensure I got the full story. If you don't you won't know what is happening, as there are only certain things you have to do to progress in the game you don't HAVE to speak to everyone, but I would suggest you do. 

This game took up 13 hours of my life! Now I am the first to say that I am not a master at games and honestly it does take me longer than some gamers to go through games. However, the reason why this one took up so much of my life was because of the puzzles! 

The writers have come up with some epicly frustrating puzzles that want to make you throw your controller in frustration. Some are ridiculous to have to figure out with things that no normal person would think of! This adds fun to the game if you like a challenge. And annoyance if you don't like that much of a challenge. I played this along as a two player one playing Vella (me) and the other playing as Shay; honestly without him I would have given up on some of the puzzles especially towards the end! 

Double Fine is an extraordinary game developer, previously they have done Brutal Legend, Grim Fandango and The Cave. All of which have been interesting, unique and something just a little bit special. Broken Age is no exception. 


Broken Age is beautiful, epic and frustrating. I think it would be enjoyable to play through a second time when you know the puzzles a bit and you won't be stuck on one for hours! It is simple in the game play which makes it... peaceful to play... until you get to the puzzles. 

If you enjoy a challenge then Broken Age is for you! 

8/10

I thought the story could have had more depth to it, the puzzles were good and gave you some insights but honestly a story and game like that you could do a lot more with. The characters were developed well which is a bonus. I wouldn't recommend this game if you get frustrated easily and don't enjoy puzzles. If you do then this is a game for you!  

No comments:

Post a Comment