Friday 9 October 2015

Writer or Author? Does it Matter?

Yesterday I saw an extremely venomous comment on a SubReddit. The post was all about their book and how they wanted to promote it to gain more readers and reach a wider audience. Someone commented (not so helpfully) stating that they should not call themselves a writer, 'everyone is called a writer...if you want to promote shouldn't you start calling yourself an author'

Now I do believe that if you have written a book and it has been accepted for publication then yes you are free to call yourself an author because that's what you are. BUT one this comment was not in the slightest bit helpful to the original poster and two what is so wrong with calling yourself a writer anyway?

Their argument was that anyone called themselves a writer, a blogger, a journalist, 'amateurs'. Did it really matter to the original poster what she called herself? I mean calling herself an author is not going to get her book more promotion, likewise calling herself a writer is not going to hinder her. 

So, the point of this post? Well I just wanted to confirm that no matter what you call yourself, you could call yourself an alien and it wouldn't make any difference to your book sales. 

The point of promotion is for your book

The point of advertising is to promote your book

Who has written it be they man, woman, child, writer or an author does not affect this. 

What affects it is how good you are. 

Are you a good writer?

Are you a good author? 

If the answer to either of these questions is yes then you have a good shot at having a successful book. But does it matter which one?

I call myself a writer because that's what I do. I write. 

I have not had a book published yet. 

I do not consider myself an author due to this. 

But what you consider yourself? Well that's up to you. 

For those of you out there who are looking for promotion ideas, or publication advise call yourself whatever you want because at the end of the day it is your writing that does the talking for you. Not your job title. 


No comments:

Post a Comment