Sunday 27 December 2015

In the Heart of the Sea

In the Heart of the Sea - 2015

I actually saw this film in a secret Unlimited screening at Cineworld. What this means is that you have no idea what you’re going to see before the film actually comes on. It is an interesting concept and we went to see what it would be. It was strange not knowing what you were seeing before it started but, at the same time it made it a bit more interesting not knowing what was coming. It turned out that it was the film ‘In the Heart of the sea’. This is a new film with Chris Hemsworth and Cillian Murphy based on the classic tale of Moby Dick. It follows Owen Chase and George Pollard as they set sail whaling. At this time, 1820's, sailors would go whaling for the oil that can be found in whales. The difficulty they had was that the waters close to them were all whaled out and they had to go farther out to unknown seas to find what they were looking for.
I’m sure everyone knows the basis of Moby Dick if not the story itself. I personally have never read the story but I knew it was about a big whale.

I won’t lie that Chris Hemsworth has some Thor moments, whether this is because I like the superhero films so much or not, there were times that I felt I was watching Thor with some strange pirates out at sea. It was a little surreal, I feel bad thinking it because actors should not be defined by one role. It was hard not to think of Thor when he was shouting though. Even though Cillian Murphy is on the posters for this film, he isn’t actually in the film as much as you would think. He plays a major role in Chris Hemsworth characters life, but as a whole he does not really impact the story enough. Despite being the other main character, George Pollard, he was played by a fairly minor actor (Benjamin Walker), he was in it to an extent but it was mainly Chris Hemsworth who took the stage.

The effects were very good in terms of the whale and the storm that caused devastation to their ship, but other than this there isn’t much praise I can award this film.
Despite never reading the story, this film does not make me want to watch it either. I felt the film was boring. It was sad sure, and very hard hitting on some aspects, but overall I felt that the film lacked interest. It is not a film that I would watch again willingly. The actors were good but I feel that this is not a book that has translated well into a film.

4/10


I think this was a long shot for Ron Howard, it was not interesting. It may have been sad every now and then but this does not make up for the lack of interesting story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment