Sunday 20 December 2015

May the Force Be With You

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - 2015 - Film

After ten long years Star Wars is back. 

The Force Awakens is based three decades after the fall of the Empire and a new threat appears challenging the "Light". 

When this film was first announced I wasn't a fan of bringing back the old cast, it made me concerned about what the film was going to be about. I mean the likes of Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill are not exactly in the prime of their life. I was also concerned that they would make the film too much about the old cast and not enough of the new generation. But, and I know this is hard for some people to admit, I was wrong. We still got to see enough of Han Solo and Leia that it fills that need for the old cast, however, they take a back seat in the overall, combat and story which makes way for the new cast to arrive. 

So, we'll start off with the new cast. This is her first major movie and what a movie to start off with! Daisy Ridley (Rey) shows that her talent has been wasted on TV series. She is joined by Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) and John Boyega (Fin). Each one makes their own mark on the franchise. 

The cast aside, I think the real challenge here was to make the film modern. To make it appeal to the new generation that wasn't around for the previous films. And this challenge was for J.J Abrams. He originally didn't want to take the role, but, after deliberation he decided that it was worth taking. Despite being hesitant at first, Abrams obviously put his heart and soul into this film. He managed to bring together the old and the new. He also managed to throw in some twists and turns. I will admit that some of them were easy to guess following the previous formulas, but, this was okay. There were still some shocks that made the film interesting, and, the bad guys were interesting to see and watch. 

He still left PLENTY for the second film, due to come out 2017. I personally feel like watching the older ones now even if they may seem a bit dated. Abrams gave a fresh lease of life into this franchise, which I hope continues into the next films. 

The one thing that I thought was a bit strange was the introduction of Kylo Ren, he was introduced quite early in the film. 

It left off for there to be an exciting and interesting sequels that I cannot wait to see. 

9/10

If I did part points it would be an 9.8 - it is closer to 10 than 9 but I feel like there it isn't quite perfect... maybe next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment