Saturday 15 August 2015

Could-Be-Better Four

Fantastic Four - Film 

Went to go see the reboot of Fantastic Four yesterday and I was less than impressed. I know the reviews haven't been great but I thought it can't be as bad as everyone says.... It was close.

Firstly the film was only 100 mins!! This is too short for a decent film, they should have used the last 30 minutes or so to focus on the story and the villain.

Secondly, I have seen Miles Teller in Whiplash and let me tell you he did not do himself justice in this film, none of them did. All of the characters had less personality than a cardboard box. Ben Grimm was barely in the story it was like they added him at the last minute remembering oh shit he's The Thing he needs to be in this.

Now what I didn't know until after the film that this was in no way based on the comics except their powers. The origin story has been changed, what they do for a living has changed and trust me I am all for pushing the boundaries and being unique but this is not something to be messed with. The origin story of superheroes are sacred not something to be played around with. And for an original story it was uninteresting and didn't really make much sense.

The first what felt like 3/4 of the film was spent in the lab building the Quantum Gate and they only had their powers, and Doctor Doom for the last small part of the film which was a complete waste of a villain. He had zero lines and quite frankly had no idea what his problem was and why he was a villain in the first place. 

99% of the film was based in the lab which was well boring, the remainder was based on Planet Zero which looked cool, but nothing about this planet was explained why was there green stuff floating about? What caused the eruption? Why did it give them super powers? None of these are answered in the film it's like they just expect us to accept they have powers now let's move on. After they gain powers Reed Richard's did not translate well in this film. Everyone else's power is okay in terms of effects but unfortunately, for Miles Teller his character just looks weird; I don't know if you have ever seen the anime One Piece but there are many more things you can do with rubber powers than just punch someone ... I mean that's just pathetic.

This film was a poor attempt at a superhero film and in the film industry at the moment there are high expectations of superhero films that Fox just did not live up to. 

I hope for the future of Fantastic Four Fox give the rights back to Marvel and Marvel re-make the franchise as it is supposed to be made because I for one would love to see a re-boot... but a good one. 
I don't have one nice thing to say about this film, it is shoddy work that should have never been released. Josh Trank needs to re-evaluate his career and I suggest working on a different genre of film as he clearly has no idea how to direct a superhero film. 

I am ashamed to say that I have to give this a 2/10 - the only reason it has 2 is because I enjoy Fantastic Four as a group and I think the name gives it that two points....anything more is blasphemy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment