Sunday 23 August 2015

Struggling...

Pretty Girls - Karin Slaughter

So I finally finished Karin Slaughter newest book. It is a stand alone Novel similar to Cop Town. It's all about a family who is wrought with tragedy and how all the questions they have had throughout the last year's all come into place. Claire Scott is our primary character, she loses her husband at the beginning of the book and starts to search through his things after his funeral which leads to more questions than answers. We then have her sister Lydia Carroll, they haven't spoken after an event tore them apart but the events of Claire's husband death pulls them back together. Paul Scott is the man of the book, Claire's husband.

Now I don't want to reveal too much as I don't want to spoil the story but I did struggle to finish this book. At just over 500 pages I should have been able to finish in less than a day but it took me three! The story was very slow and full of "what the hell are you doing???!!! " which I hate in a book, I mean I know the actions of the characters are to build the story but sometimes they are just being stupid. As she was in this book.

The characters were a little one dimensional until the end of the book after everything is sorted which only lasts for a few pages which is a shame I would've liked to read more of the characters interact at the end.

The story itself was good a little predictable in terms of who the bad guy is but, it is a crime book so I guess predictability is inevitable. It was quite dark and similar to her Triptych the way the victims were killed was quite brutal.

I will end this review with one point. Why doesn't she finish the Grant County series. That series requires one more book just to wrap up the ending and the future for Sara and Will and she hasn't done anything!! These stand alones are all well and good but it's Sara that I love and want to read more of especially now she has Will.

Pretty Girls is not a book I would read again. It was pretty average for Karin Slaughter who normally I can't put down her books. 

5/10 

It was very low standard when compared to her previous novels and was a pretty pointless book at the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment