Saturday 26 September 2015

Cold & Emotional

Everest - Film 2015

Everest was released on 25th September 2015. The film follows the story of Rob Hall and his creation Adventure Consultants. His group take a group of tourists up to the summit of Everest and back again. The film is based in 1996 when a tragedy hit Adventure Consultants. 

The film was based on a true story; I won't ruin the story for anyone who does not know what happens in the end. As you can imagine though with this sort of film it is very emotional throughout. 

The actors were the best bit of the entire film. Jason Clarke (Rob Hall) was spectacular in his role. He showed himself to be an excellent leader, a great friend to familiar faces and strangers alike. His supporting actors such as Martin Henderson (Andy 'Harold' Harris) and Emily Watson (Helen Wilton) were also on par with him. Keira Knightley was a little wasted in the film as she did not play a huge role but it made a change for her. The problem however with Jason Clarke being so good was when the story came to a close, how it obviously had to because it was a true story it didn't feel right. This is what I dislike about true story films, the actors put their own take or spin on the character but it still has to end a certain way. This makes it difficult sometimes because if the actor is very good you start thinking well why did this happen? 

I can't really say too much about the story as it wasn't written for the film. They stuck to the facts of the events and made a film about it end of. 

Another good thing about this film was they got the raw emotion especially between Rob (Jason Clarke) and his wife Jan (Keira Knightley). The film actually made me tear up in a few places. 

To be honest I don't normally like this type of film, I don't tend to watch them. I did try and go into the film with an open mind and not dislike it straight off. Which I didn't but I also didn't like it towards the end. 

The film is very emotional and the actors harnessed this very well. They obviously did their research into who these people were or are and pulled it off very well. My issue is the ending and how the actors got there. As I said before sometimes it just doesn't work and I didn't feel it did this time. If you are an adventure junky yourself this would be a good film to watch. Or if you like true story films. I am neither of those unfortunately, but I will give the film credit in how it was made. 

6/10 

It is not a film I will be watching again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment