Tuesday 1 September 2015

Knick Knack

Knack - PlayStation 4

So I know Knack came out at the beginning of the generation however, I have been unwilling to play due to the bad reviews it got. I had the opportunity to borrow the game for free so I thought what the hell it can't hurt right?

I played the game in co-op I was the second player. The story is well a bit mismatched if I'm honest something about goblins and ancient relics? It didn't thrill me enough to keep me interested we did finish the game based on...  Well we don't like leaving things unfinished.

Knack as a character was excellent, the voice actor was good despite little Knack not talking. He could be amusing in places and he had spirit. The second player (me) was his imaginary friend. I was not acknowledged I disappeared for cut scenes, the camera just followed knack and I didn't talk or well do anything except die and kill a few people. The human characters were okay bar the fact that they had no emotion a friend dies or they find a lost love and their reaction is mediocre to say the least. The only human who shows any emotion is Lucas the kid.

The concept is actually really fun and interesting. Knack is made up of relics and he can get bigger and smaller and gain different pieces for example ice pieces. Where this is all cool, looks amazing it could've been better. When you are a different Knack such as ice knack you don't get any special powers the only thing your pieces are useful for are opening doors! After 13 chapters of collecting relics to lose them to a door it gets pretty tedious.

Speaking of tedious combat. The combat consist of square. That's it. Especially for the second player. Knack has some special moves but they aren't that special just take out a lot of guys. The worst part is that the two players can hit each other, so we were going for the same guys as you do because you want to get there first and show off and we just ended up hitting each other which stuns you allowing your enemy a hit (which in hard mode is a one hit kill most of the time) so you can imagine that got frustrating and petty very quickly. The final boss battle being the second player sucks, you can't do anything. Nothing. Zilch. Nada.

There are a few loose ends in the story a few characters who seemed to have just disappeared. This could lead onto a second game which I kinda hope it does. I'm glad I've played the game it was...  Enjoyable (using that term loosely) I liked the character and concept just the execution could have been a bit more smooth. If you like these games such as Crash Bandicoot or Jak you'll like this game. If they're not really your thing I don't suggest playing it. Oh also if you are competitive don't be the second player you will end up wanting to kill each other. If they do make a second game a few tweaks need to be made and the game could be amazing.

5/10

It was average and mediocre but I would play Knack 2 if it was ever made.

No comments:

Post a Comment