Saturday 12 September 2015

Spoof or Rom-Com?

They Came Together - Film - 2014

So it was strange, I finished the Netflix original series of Wet Hot American Summer yesterday and decided to watch a film. I chose They Came Together as I was in the mood for a rom-com it did say 'semi-spoof' in the description but it had Paul Rudd and Amy Poehler in it and I love them so I thought let's give it a go. Now after watching WHAS series I had already had a healthy dose of 'What the fuck is going on?" and this movie did not disappoint.

Not knowing this before I watched the film but it was actually written by Michael Showalter (Coop in WHAS & writer of WHAS) so it had the same craziness I had just watched 8 episodes of! It had some of the same cast in it as well such as the two leads, Michael Ian Black (McKinley in WHAS), Christopher Meloni (Jean/Jonas in WHAS) and several others. So, I didn't really get the rom but I got plenty of the com.

The film is Joel (Paul Rudd) and Molly (Amy Poehler) going through the story of how they met. They advise that could be a rom-com story and made into a film. It's a different take on a rom-com film with the two leads narrating their parts of the story. It holds onto all of those cheesy cliches that you always find in rom-com and either exaggerates them or twists them upside down. As ever the two leads are spectacular and they work extremely well together. The story runs through the ups and downs of their love lives and to be honest is more realistic (in some places) than many rom-coms.

It was a refreshing take on a rom-com and it was enjoyable for both me and my boyfriend. It was funny in all of the right places and it was extremely well made. 

9/10 

I would happily watch the film again; what I liked most was that both me and my boyfriend could enjoy it and watch it together which doesn't happen with many rom-coms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment